San Diego Pet Hospital was established in 1942 by Dr. Frank McKinney. After his death in 1969, the hospital was acquired by veterinarian Dr. Griffith Clark, who was joined in 1971 by his son Dr. Michael Clark. Known affectionately as Dr. Griff and Dr. Mike, they were the first father-son team of veterinarians to graduate from UC Davis Veterinary School. They practiced together for many years prior to Dr. Griff’s retirement.
Upon the passing of Dr. Mike in 2007, San Diego Pet Hospital was acquired by Dr. Lisa Labrecque, also a graduate of UC Davis Veterinary School. Dr. Labrecque is an energetic, compassionate and forward-thinking practitioner who believes fervently in the power of the human-animal bond. She envisioned a veterinary clinic that is animal-friendly and owner-friendly, where people want to come and spend time and where animals are treated with the love and respect that they give unconditionally.
In June of 2007, San Diego Pet Hospital reopened its doors with renewed energy, a new philosophy, upgraded equipment, facilities and new staff. The new slogan “Veterinary Care from the Heart” was selected from more than a dozen entries submitted by staff members. The San Diego Pet Hospital in Lemon Grove was reborn.
Every year our animal clinic is expanding and adding more services and high-tech equipment to better serve our patients. We continue to offer annual preventative wellness exams, vaccinations, spays, and neuters. Services also include soft tissue and orthopedic surgery, ultrasound, digital radiology, a full pharmacy, and thorough diagnostics.
Now in its seventh decade of service, our team is proud to carry on a long tradition of excellence in veterinary care. With additional features and further renovations planned for the future, we will continue to evolve as a caring, committed and comprehensive veterinary hospital.